Wednesday, June 24, 2009

Shadows from the past!

I've been thinking about a post my sister had on her blog a while ago. It was a story about how history repeats it's self. When I was younger my sisters (not understanding the "inner sanctum" status of the toilet) used to make fun of me for singing the Star Wars theme song and pretending I was really in the seat of my very own X-wing Star fighter ridding the galaxy of it's empire scum. They later were shocked to find their sons singing the theme and playing star wars while in their inner sanctums. Personally I feel its just their star wars genes kicking in. This newly discovered gene controls sound effects, natural attraction to light-sabers, and the desire to use the force to squish your teachers head when they are droning on.
I had a few other eccentricities when I was young that my family thought were ...unique. For example I used to put myself down for a nap. I know, every mothers dream right. From the family stories told at get-togethers I would gather up my blankie, inform my mother that it was time for me to " go get happy". As I was carried off to bed I would wave goodbye to my family over my mother or father's shoulder ready and willing to start my nap time adventure (most likely as a Jedi).
I was reminded of that this morning. My 13 month old and I were playing in the front room, when she fixed me with her intense look, the that says, "I am going to tell you something very important so you better listen up" and then she signed night-night (placing her hand on her cheek and tilting her head). I wasn't sure the first time. Then she dropped the look again, this time with a little more urgency, "it is defiantly time for night-night daddy". So I brought to her room to change her diaper. While on the table she signed milk and looked hopefully at me. Lacking the proper equipment to meet her demand I laugh and gave her her "silky" (blankie), turned out the lights and tried to sing her a song. She would not have it. When we got close to the bed she lunged out of my arms toward her crib. It was all I could do to keep from dropping her. Once laid in her bed, she took her silky shoved in her face rolled over and was asleep before I could even leave the room. I had to laugh.This is a girl who takes her nap times seriously! Like father like daughter I guess.

2 comments:

Home of the Muddy Kids said...

That is so cute! My babe loves her Lovie too. I just washed it for the first time in a long time and re-discovered that it really was pink!

Jenn said...

I remember it differently but I'll leave you with your memories the way they are! Cute little bum in the air.