Michael doing one of his favorite pastimes... trying to burn down the neighborhood.
Last saturday was a beautiful sunny day. Michael and I spent the morning lounging around and relaxing. Michael spent half of the morning playing the game plants vs. zombies on his Ipod. Little E loves watching him play that game. She begs me to put on the zombie movie (its very cartoony and not scary at all). Michael would sit there with Little E crawling further and further on top of him to get a better view of him "putting the zombies to sleep" until she would be literally sitting on his neck/face and he couldn't breathe much less see the game.
We finally decided it was time to get to work and spent part of the day just tidying up the house and getting things ready for his trip to north Idaho. When naptime came I am pretty sure we all three took advantage of the peace and quite. Michael and I loved taking naps together and snuggling away the afternoon. Sometimes he would want to stay up a read a book and I would moan and pester him until he finally gave up and rolled over to give me the proper amount of attention and snuggles to fall asleep. Usually I would say "Just roll over until I am asleep and then you can read" but we both knew he would be out like a light by then too. Even though he knew that he pretty much always gave me my way.
After naptime we decided it was important to do something fun as a family. It was the last day before he left for 3 weeks that we could really go out and play. We considered going to the air show but decided that we wanted to spend some time at Rigby Lake instead. The lake has a very special place in our hearts because it is where we shared our first kiss. Over on the swing set by the front entrance. It has always been a place to have fun and be ourselves.
We packed up our kayak and took Little E and all her new sand toys she got for her birthday out to the west side of the lake. Once we got everything unloaded Michael took her out for a ride around the lake. They paddled around for a long time with him showing her how neat the boat was and her snuggling on his lap. When they came back she wanted more boat so I took her out for a ride too. Michael swam behind us to make sure that if I tipped over he would be there to help my sorry pregnant soul back into the kayak and to help keep Little E from tipping me over. We paddled a little ways and then stopped to give him a rest. He spent the next few minutes making Little E laugh hysterically by swimming underneath the kayak while blowing bubbles and then magically appearing on the other side. Each time he popped up he was grinning from ear to ear and she would clap her hands and say "again! again!" He would then happily oblige her with another round of bubbles.
When we paddled back he told me that I should go for a little bit of a swim. I was having a hard time making myself go in past my knees but he kept encouraging me and jokingly asked where the adventurous girl went the he dated. The one that would jump off of bridges for fun... or more accurately to impress the guy of her dreams. I then told him that girl had died when she got knocked up and would probably be back someday. I finally jumped in and he and Little E spent the next few minutes digging in the dirt and attempting to make sand castles with her new toys. They never really succeeded. The sand was either too dry or too wet and it wouldn't hold. But she didn't care. It was just fun to dig up a bunch of mud with daddy's help and drop it in a bucket.
After a little while he decided to take the kayak for another spin around the lake. He paddled out and Little E wanted to "walk to daddy!" and kept trying to walk further and further out into the water trying to follow him. I tried to explain that he was too far out and it was too deep. She would turn around about when the water hit her chest but would try again a few feet further up the beach. It was really cute to watch her trying to get out to him. He paddled out near the island and then laid down in the kayak and put his hat over his face. When he came back after about 15 minutes he told me how much he loved listening to the sound of the water lapping up against the kayak. It was so peaceful and relaxing to him to be out on the water. He has always been a bit of a fish at heart. Many of our dates during the summer that we met involved swimming in some form or other. I was always so impressed with his swimming abilities. He was so fun to watch in the water, and scuba diving was a dream come true to him. He couldn't get enough of it. It really bugged him that there wasn't anywhere worth diving in our area. That was one of the reasons that he was so excited about doing this job. He was going to be paid to do something that he absolutely loved.
He finally came back and we packed up to go back home. He thanked me for going out with him and said it was the perfect Saturday. And it was.
3 comments:
Shem and I have stayed up late the last two nights remembering Mike and we have come to the conclusion that he rarely did anything if it wasn't fun... and if it wasn't a fun thing to do but he had to do it, he'd figure out a way to MAKE it fun. What a blessing to know he truly lived life to it's fullest. We love you!
Thanks for sharing, Jen. Please keep the memories coming. We love you.
My name is Ashley Sullenger and I just heard about your husband. I've been thinking about you all night. I am so very sorry for your loss. On the 16th we lost our 18 month daughter who drowned in a canal. I know there is nothing I can say to take away your pain, and that is totally different to lose a spouse rather than a child. But I do realize how hard it is to lose a loved one. I just wanted you to know my husband and I are thinking about you and praying that you'll be comforted in the days ahead.
Love,
The Sullengers
Post a Comment