Wednesday, July 28, 2010

This can't be real. Michael passed away...

He may be gone but we had an amazing life. We will be together again.













It is 2:30 in the morning. I can't sleep. I just can't stop thinking that someone has played a terrible practical joke on me. I will surely wake up in the morning to find this is all a big misunderstanding.

This afternoon Michael called me and talked to me for a few minutes. He had driven up to north Idaho to dive for golf balls with my Uncle Bob as a summer job for a couple of weeks. We were hoping he would earn enough doing this that he wouldn't have to work the after school program this year. I wanted him home at 4pm everyday instead of 6pm. I wanted him to spend more time with me and his new baby boy. He told me on the phone about how much fun he was having. He said the water was very clear and he loved reaching zero buoyancy because it felt like flying. The fish would swim right up to him and check out what he was doing. He was working very hard and he said it was very hot in his dry suit. We joked around about how the golf course was very ritzy and he didn't feel like he could go to take a rest stop because he was in sweaty clothes. He told me he had come back up because he used up his first tank of air and something was wrong with the second tank. He thought it was missing an 0 ring. Bob showed up to help him fix it. He told me that he loved me and would call me later. I told him I loved him too and to have a great time...

I went for a walk with Little E to my friend Tasha's house after her nap time. When I came home to start dinner my brother knocked on the door. Something was very wrong. I thought maybe Alan had been in an accident or grandma had passed away. I was on the phone with my little sister and he told her we would call her right back. Then he told me the worst news I have ever heard in my life. Michael was in an accident. He never came back up. They pulled him out of the water and took him to the hospital but he never woke up. He was called back to our heavenly father.

I just keep thinking of our last morning together. We were getting him ready to drive up to north Idaho. I made him a special breakfast of scrabbled eggs with all the fixings. Sausage, green pepper, fresh tomatoes from the garden. He ate one of the tomatoes raw and talked about how much better they tasted that way. While he got all of his stuff together Little E and I picked him a handful of our raspberries that are just coming on. She ate most of them but we did manage to get him a few as a special treat.

We took a family shower together. Little E loves taking showers with Mommy and Daddy. She enjoys taking turns snuggling us under the water and laughs when we use the "tickle soap", a homemade soap her grandma made us that has lavender pieces in it. It tickles her when we use it. Since Michael was going to be gone for 3 weeks I really wanted her to let him know she loved him. So I got her to tell him "I love you" over and over in the shower accompanied by a sweet kiss on the lips. She really adores her daddy. She woke up last night in the middle of the night because she had wet the bed (we are not worrying about night time training anymore. I can't do it now.) She came out and kept looking for him in our bed. She wanted to kiss daddy awake. I kept telling her daddy wasn't home but she wanted him anyways. She loves him so much.

We got dressed and went outside to see him off. He opened the garage door and pulled me in close for a wonderful tight hug and a very loving long kiss. He told me he loved me and wanted me to be careful while he was gone. He didn't want me to do something silly like lift heavy things while being so pregnant. I told him to be careful too and to be sure and eat and take good care of himself. He promised me he would. He got into the car and Little E wanted to sit on his lap in the drivers seat and play with the steering wheel. He let her for a minute and told her to be a good girl for mommy. Then he gave us both one more hug and kiss and drove away. I ran from the driveway around the corner to watch him drive until he was out of sight. It is a habit I have had since I was a little girl. I am so glad I did. Little waved after him and kept saying, "Love you daddy! Bye!"

I miss him so much already. But I still can't beleive he is really gone. There has to be some sort of mistake because things like this just don't happen. They just don't! He was young and healthy and we are having a baby boy in 2 months. The son he was so sure we would never have because he knew we were going to have all girls. I now know this little boys name. I could't make myself think of a name for this whole pregnancy. I just felt like it wasn't the time to worry about that. Now I know that his name is Michael.

I can't write anymore right now. I am crying to hard and my head hurts. Its hard to see the screen. But I wanted to record our last morning in as much detail as I could remember. While it was playing in my head.

I love you Michael. I know we will be together as a family again. We have been sealed in the temple and that is the most comforting thought I have right now. I love you. I miss you. Please call me and tell me this isn't real... that its a mistake... Please... please...

25 comments:

Apryl May said...

Jennifer, this is Apryl, TC Perry's sister. Not sure if you remember me, but I heard about the tragedy. I want you to know our family is praying for you and your families right now. Little Michael Jr. will carry on his father's legacy. Everyone who was touched by your eternal companion's existence will never be the same. We love you and are mindful of you.

Boyce Family said...

Hi Jennifer, I've never met you but I went to high school with Michael and I know his family from church. My heart is aching for you and your family right now. I will pray for your comfort and peace. Families can be together forever, hold on to that truth.

Jessica said...

Hi Jenny, you might not remember me but we used to live by you and Mike @ Andrew's Place, I'm Jackie Rawlins' older sister, Jessica. We only talked a few times but it was quite obvious that you two were so in love. I'm so sorry for your loss and have been deeply touched by your story. I know it's not much to offer but I want you to know that I am thinking and praying about you and your little family. Thank you for strengthening my testimony. God bless.

TC, Ashley said...

Hey Jenny, this is Ashley, TC's Perry's wife. I am so very sorry to hear about your loss. I am so sorry. I don't know what else to say. I cried when April called and told me. I know that Michael was a wonderful friend to TC and enjoyed meeting both of you and spending some time with you. I know there is not much I can say to ease your pain but please know that you and your family are in our prayers.

Jessica Taylor Blaine said...

Jenny,
My thoughts and prayers are with you. I cry that the girl I babysat so many times has to go threw this loss. Thank heavens for eternal families.

Mrs. T said...

I grew up in kennewick, and was in the same ward as your husband and his family. My heart aches for you and your families right now. Please know that you are in our prayers. Heavenly Father is with you. I am sorry for your loss.

Gardener said...

This is Aunt Renee. We didn't really get to know you very well, but we love you and Michael. We are among many that will be there for you if there's anything we can do. You and Little E and Michael Jr are in our prayers.

Lee said...

I am Missy's friend. I am praying for you and your family. All of our love.

Dawnell said...

Hi Jennifer, I don't think I've seen you since your wedding day. It breaks my heart to think of what you are going through right now. Michael is one of the most remarkable people I have ever known, and he touched the lives of everyone he met. As I've read your blog posts, I've seen so much love and strength in your character. You have made wonderful memories for your children to hold on to, and you've created the kind of family that can be together forever. I'm sure that Michael is thinking of you right now. I will be praying for you and your family.

nicolerl17 said...

Jenn, I'm so incrediably sorry! Mike is an awsome guy, and I'm privleged to have been his friend. I can tell how much he loves you and your children. I know we didn't get to know each other well, and I wish we had, but I want you to know that my thoughts and prayers and with you. I know this must all seem like such a bad dream. But from your blog I can tell you have such strength and faith. Hang in their and please let me know if their is anything I can do for you or your family. I have such great memories of Mike and our group of friends at college we had such grand adventures. I'm still in shock, I can't even imagine how you feel.

Sincerely,

Nicole Pulver

Jill and Lonnie said...

Hi Jen,
This is Jill McGill. I just found out tonight about everything. I remember running into Michael at the park and getting to have you guys over for dinner in Rexburg. I was amazed at how perfectly you matched Michael. I can't even imagine the grief you must be wading through. My heart aches for you and you are in my prayers. I hope that you can feel at peace and know that there is a huge network of people who love and support you. Words seem so trite and yet it's all I have to give. You are loved.

Allison said...

I'm also Missy's friend. I am praying you feel the love and support of Heavenly Father.

megan said...

Jennifer, I'm another friend of Michael's from high school and church. I just wanted to add some more prayers and support for your family. He is one of a kind.

Erin Darrington said...

Oh Jenny,
I cannot imagine your heart ache or your sorrow. I sit here and weep and weep and weep. I wish I could hold you and we could weep together. I have thought about you so much lately because our life situations are so similar with our little girls here and our little boys on the way soon. I love you and continue to think of you every time by baby kicks me in my cervix (I hope that made you smile b/c it's true). I love you. Know that you have every right to feel every feeling you may feel through this ordeal. I love you and am so grateful that you are surrounded by loving family members at this time. From reading your post I don't think you could have asked for a more beautiful way to say your goodbyes. Love and Prayers your way.

Erin Darrington

PS Everyone says it, but know that I mean it, if you ever want to talk about anything call me. Even if it is just to whine about our silly pregnancy aches and pains. If you ever need to vent or need a distraction, please call. Love you again. 208-409-1383

Lewis Family said...

You don't know me. But I am friend's with the Boyce Family. I wish the best for you. I know that when times feel the hardest, it is difficult to feel peace. I know that Heavenly Father is mindful of you.
If I could give you a hug and just cry together I would. Give your sweet little one a hug for me. I wish I could come do your laundry and make your family some meals. For now I will pray for you.

Ging said...

Jennifer,
Hi, my name is Ginger Parker. I knew Michael through Kristy several years ago...mid '90's to be exact. She and I hung out mainly in the summer of '96, which is when I met your dear husband. He was such a fun person to be around and was so talented, singing and playing the guitar. He played a lot of Cure songs back then, which is one of my favorite bands as well. Lots of fun. As I was reading these comments, I thought of the words to Lovesong. "However far away, I will always love you. However long I stay, I will always love you. Whatever words I say, I will always love you. I will always love you."
God bless you and your little ones.

Anonymous said...

My deepest sympathy to you and your family. I had hoped to spend some time with Mike this fall during hunting season. He had mentioned that he was interested in coming. What a wonderful friend, and by the sound of it husband and father. We'll miss you here Mike and can't wait to see you in that great reunion in the hereafter. I don't know what else to say... I am sorry for your loss. If there is anything I can do to help My wife and I are close in Ucon, ID and wouldn't mind helping anyway we can.

glenda said...

Jenny, you sweet girl. Our hearts are so broken with this news. We want you to know we love you all and you are in our hearts and prayers.
Much love
The Isaacson's

Rach said...

jenny, my heart is broken with this news. mike and you are such a great example of love. it just radiated from you both. I pray the Savior's love encircles you.

we are praying for you.

mike will truly be missed.

Unknown said...

I know you don't know me, but Mike was friends with my roommate Lacey. He helped me meet my husband. Words cannot express how much my heart goes out to you and your family. Mike was a wonderful person and will be greatly missed by all. Our thoughts and prayers are with you!

Alisha and Braeden said...

Jenny,
Hey it's the Cook's.. we lived next door at Andrew's place. Our hearts are saddened with this news and Mike will be missed. We are so blessed to have the gospel in our lives and to know that we will live with our loved ones again. You and your families are in our prayers.

Unknown said...

Hi Jennifer, I'm Rick Wolfgramm. I have so many wonderful memories of Mike. We had so much fun growing up together. Some summer nights we would drive outside town to stargaze and contemplate the universe. He was always a much deeper thinker than me, so I always enjoyed listening to his theories. His motto as a teenager was 'Carpe Diem' (Seize the Day), and with Mike you never doubted that he lived by that motto. Mike has always been a wonderful friend. I am so sorry for your family's loss. You will be in my thoughts and prayers.

Sweet Cherie said...

Jenny, Your faith and courage amaze me. Seeing your stength has strengthened us all in this difficult time. Thinking of you and praying for you.

Cherie

courtney. said...

hi. i may not know you. but i want you to know that i am praying for you. i cant imagine what you are going through.. and i hope you know that God is right there with you... and He is always by your side.

We Three Queens said...

Hello. My name is Brenda and I've known Whitney for the past 12 years (I'm still in her mom and dad's ward). I just read your post. I was crying before long... I am so very sorry for the loss of your adoring husband. I don't even know you, but your words have touched me deeply. I hear your sorrow and disbelief... yet I sense in you a deep inner strength and abiding faith. You are loved... you are being prayed for... Heavenly Father is watching over you and your family. Please remember that, always.

I would like to get to know you more. If it's not too forward of me, I'm adding you to my friend list. You can't ever have too many friends....

"Now the Lord of peace himself give you peace always by all means. The Lord be with you all." 2 Thes. 3:16