Sunday, September 7, 2008

Cows and Sheep



A few weeks back I got fed up with Little E waking me up every forty minutes during the night. I had been trying Baby Wise, but it just wasn't quite enough so I added in a different sleep method called Sleep Sense Program. The combination of the two has finally done the trick! Two nights ago I woke up at 3 am realizing that she hadn't woken me up at 11 pm or 2:30 am. "huh" I thought and rolled back over to go to sleep. Then at 4:30 am I woke up again and was really starting to worry. "she has never gone this long before. Is she crying and I just didn't hear her because I closed my bedroom door?! Is she even breathing!! Something must be wrong!!!!" So I rushed into her room only to hear her sigh and see her sleeping contentedly. I was so worked up that I couldn't get back to sleep for a whole hour while I tried to count sheep. I finally fell asleep at 5:30 and woke at 6:30 to her finally wanting something to eat.

By this time I was totally engorged! I have never related to a cow more at any time in my life. I even had to pump after she finished eating and went back to sleep because she only fixed one side.

Last night she did it again only she went an hour longer! I am so happy to be sleeping through the night, but I don't know what to do with myself when I wake up. I no longer know how to roll over and go back to sleep without going in and feeding her. My body is also not sure of what to do with so much sleep. Its like a drug. My body wants more and more of it as I increase my dosage! I'm sure it will all adjust eventually. But until then you can just call me Bessie the Insomniac.

4 comments:

Home of the Muddy Kids said...

I am singing your song, sister! The only difference is that my babe just STOPPED sleeping through the night, as soon as we came home from Grandma's house. I'm a zombie! That's why I called your hubby, begging him to send the book back! I never read up to this age because I didn't need it at the time. It is terrifying when they sleep for so long though.

Jenn said...

Moo to you, girlfriend! Glad to hear you are sleeping through the night four years earlier than I did! I still go up to check on my ten year old...just for old times sake.

Jessica Nguyen said...

Engorgement is one of those things that no one talks about, yet would have been great to have known about beforehand! So painful!

P.S. I guess Peter knew about engorgement, but decided not to tell me.

EarlGirl said...

I feel your pain, I really do. Thanks for the memories!