Michael McCullough's Testimony
As I have started my life as a married man I have had a few interesting realizations. The gospel is meant for the family. Until recently I had always thought that my relationship with my Heavenly Father had been a personal thing that was only between us. His commandments were for my personal peace and happiness. If I broke those commandments I would be the only one that suffered for my mistake. While most of this is true I’m starting to realize that the gospel has a much larger goal in mind. While it binds man to his maker, it also welds families together. I have found that my personal relationship with my maker also affects my relationship to my wife, my future children, and even how I interact with everyone around me. It shapes the way I perceive my world around me. If I have been distant and disobedient to his will, I am easily agitated, more self-serving, I feel discontented with life, and am unable to recognize the goodness that others have done for me. When I am striving to live the commandments, I fall deeper in love with my darling bride, I want to go out of my way to make her happy, and I feel content with the blessings that I have been given.Now that Jenn and I have our own little family I’ve been so excited to give her blessings when she is sick, have our very own home teachers visit us, and pray together at the edge of our bed. When we have been worried the spirit has soothed us after a prayer. I have found that a man in the gospel is strong, but a family united in the gospel is much stronger. The gospel is designed to bring Husband, Wife, and Children closer together and make them strong.
Gordon B. Hinckley said, “ The gospel makes bad men good, and good men better.” As I look back at my life I can see how I have been nudged, pushed, and out right shoved by his guiding hand. I know that Heavenly father has a plan and purpose for me. In my greatest hour of need and distress I have felt his hand on my back soothing me to my core, giving me an eye to rest in as the torrent lashes around me. I have also discovered that my love for him is very similar to what I feel for my wife. At first there was infatuation, or an intense feeling based on what you think this person is. Then comes a period of disillusionment when you realize this person is not what you thought. Finally come the love that is driven, even made of truth. The more you learn of that true person the more you love them. The more I understand of our God, the way he interacts with me, reasons with me, and shows me his love, the more I love him.
I know that God lives, I know he loves and knows me. I know that our Lord and Master paid for my sins out of love for me. I know that He broke the bands of death so that I might live with him and the rest of my family. I know that we are sealed and welded together by the power of the holy priesthood forever; there will never be a permanent good bye! Mom and Dad I love you both so much, I love you more as now I’m trying to do the job you did so well. Thank you for my life! In the name of our Lord and Redeemer Jesus Christ, Amen.
Michael Spencer McCullough
12-10-2006
3 comments:
Very Powerful! He sounds like one amazing person. We are so blessed to know and understand the gospel. Hang in there, let me know if you need anything.
Wow Jenn, that was really beautiful! I never thought about it that way either. Families are Forever - and ever and ever :). Keep your chin up beautiful, I can't wait to hear news of little Michael making his debut.
Thank you Mike, your testimony has strengthened me when mine needed it. Your a powerful example. I love and miss you.
Post a Comment