Thursday, March 31, 2011

Vintage Swing Night.

Dear Michael,
I call this look "House Wives should have fun too."
I had such a great time last night! It was vintage night at swing night on campus. Last semester I didn't do anything for it, I just didn't feel up to doing anything beyond the bare necessities to go out. But yesterday I pulled out the dress I wore when I graduated collage (I bought it with your Mom and sisters on our Girls trip to Boise) got my new pearls that Mom gave me for Christmas. Then I went and got my hair done. It was so fun! I told her I wanted something from the 40's or 50's and we looked at a few pictures. Then she sprayed my hair full of hairspray, curled it all in ringlets, and brushed them out. At this point I was kind of confused because I thought she would just pin all those ringlets into place. Boy was I wrong! She got out her comb and began ratting my hair, until I looked like I was from the 70's! I didn't think my hair could get that big! It literally stuck straight out in all directions! I kind of began to panic at this point because I had no idea how she could make me look pretty when I looked like I had stuck my finger in a light socket. lol But then she combed it back into this beautiful swoop that so reminded me of all my grandmothers modeling photos! She pined and brushed and pined my crazy fro into a beautiful elegant hairdo that was PERFECT! It was so worth the time and money to feel so beautiful for a night. I haven't dressed up like that for over a year. The last time was for Second chance prom with you last year (I was pregnant and felt anything but beautiful. Mostly I just felt sick), I had also dressed up the year before that (when I was too fat from my first pregnancy to fit in any of my usual dresses and I just wanted to cry...) So ya, its been a while since I felt so pretty. I loved it!
Can't you just see me vacuuming the house in those pearls! :) Ok, I know its hard to picture when I always do it in my pj's but use your imagination honey!

Seriously, how do you get that out of a fro? Amazing!
I just wish you could have been here so I could have planted a giant red lipstick kiss on your check and told you not to wipe it off until the end of the night. But I know that if you were here I wouldn't have been going to swing night anyways. It actually caused some of our worst fights during that first year of our marriage. Funny how all important I had thought it to be back then, once I gave it up I we were both so much happier. I never thought I would be going back there, salsa dancing with you every once in awhile and dancing in the kitchen was more than enough for me. I am glad I have it to look forward to now, but sometimes it is still a little awkward. However, I am learning to just stop over thinking things, and have a great time! Its so wonderful to just get out and make some new friends while getting some energy out.

This ones for you Michael!
I got so many complements last night on my costume. Some nice ones on my dancing too. I even won a "lead follow" dance competition. I did the first song with a nice boy named Nathan. Then we had to switch partners and I won with another boy named Daniel. I didn't expect that at all but it sure was fun and I got a free candy bar out of the deal so no complaints here!

Oh, I almost forgot to tell you about a couple of cute things Little E did while I was getting ready. First I was changing and she looked at me and said, "Your so skinny mommy!"  I think she has been hearing people say that to me a lot lately but it totally made me laugh. Then I had on my pink robe and came out to give her more noodles for dinner and she looked at me with sparkling eyes and said in a very sweet voice, "Oh Mom! You are so beautiful!!!" Best complement of the night by far! She is so sweet and wonderful. I love her more than I can say.

Mommy and Baby Clown.
After she was done with dinner we went into the bathroom where I was doing my makeup. I pulled out blush for the first time in I don't know how long and Little E was fascinated with it! She did her cheeks, her tummy, her back, and eventually started painting "clown shoes" on her feet with the blush. It was too cute. The whole time she was talking to me and calling me "Mommy clown" she was "baby clown." I finally pulled out my bright red lipstick for the final touch and she wanted some SO BAD! I put it on her and she ran to the mirror to admire her "clown lips". Then we ran around the house dancing to BINGO and playing Simon says (her new favorite game. She learned it last Sunday and is loves it now). I think it may have been the funnest part of the evening. :)

Love,
Jenny

2 comments:

Erin Darrington said...

I loved this post! ESP. The part where you mentioned vacuuming in your outfit lol. How times have changed!

Home of the Muddy Kids said...

Holy cow! You look fabulous! Sounds like you've still got some serious moves! (o: I'm so glad you really got into it and had such a great time. That dress really was perfect. And, no, I can't believe that a 'fro turned out so gorgeous and intricate in the back especially! That was awesome. (o: