Saturday, October 2, 2010

Little M's Birth Story

Sorry for the wait everyone. I have been so busy with a little baby, toddler, and enjoying my mother in law while she visited that I haven't posted Little M's birth story yet. I best do so before I forget something. This is kind of my journal right now because I don't have time to blog and write in my journal every day. So sorry its a little long winded, but I want to be able to record it all for myself.

Thursday night my family was invited to a geology opening social at Smith park. My sister told me I had to go because she was sure that being so close to the hospital would have some affect on my body and cause me to go into labor. (smith park is directly across the street from the hospital). She even wanted me to face the hospital with my belly, hold my arms in the air, and chant "I wanna I wanna I wanna baby!" I told her I refused to do that because I wasn't sure I was ready to do the whole labor and delivery thing yet. I was happy just waiting until he was ready to come out. No need for voodo chanting. ;)

We ate barbeque and Little E ran around the park watching a collage boy fly a kite and playing with her cousin A. She was having a great time and kept stealing chips off of my mom and sisters plates while we ate sitting in the grass. It was a beautiful night and we were really having a lot of fun. Little E ran off with her cousin and my sister and I decided that while I was totally full of sloppy joes and didn't need anything else to eat, I felt like munching. So I decided to get up off the grass and get some chips. I couldn't get up and kept trying to roll forward onto my feet and was laughing really hard about it with my Mom. She reached over and just gave me a little nudge to help get me off the ground. I laughed while I stood up, and then stopped. Something was very wet, and I was pretty sure I hadn't laughed hard enough to wet my pants...

I headed off to the rest rooms to check, and sure enough I had broken my water. This was about 7:00 pm. I think its very funny because its supposed to be only 15% of births that you have the water break before being at the hospital... So far I am 100%. lol

So after getting cleaned up a little we decided to go see my friends Lacy and Sam because they lived right across the street from smith park. We headed over and they just let us hang out for awhile with our kids playing with their sons toys. My dad went and got the car and then came back and gave me a blessing with Sam. I have to say, the blessing definitely worked. This was by far a way better delivery, and recovery than the first time around. :)

After getting the blessing I was planning on going home to get my hospital bag and then comming back to check into the hospital. I figured I hadn't been having contractions for very long (they started after my water broke.) and that I would have time. My sister started timeing them and realized they were 5 minutes apart. They were also getting kindof painful. So we changed our plans let Mom and Dad go take the girls home and put them to bed, and get the hospital bag as well.

We drove up the road a block and pulled into the hospital. I decided I probably ought to call my midwife as we pulled in because they said to call "when it was time to head to the hospital." And I was already there. lol

The woman working for the answering service said that she would notify the midwife on call and told me who it was. I was a little sad because it was a different midwife from the one that had delivered Little E and I really enjoyed working with her. She did such a good time the first time around and had always been so sweet to me. She even held me at my final appointment before Little M was born while I cried on her shoulder and told her my fears about having this baby without Michael...

So we headed inside and checked into the hospital. By this point it was already painful  enough that I was leaning against the counter with my eyes closed during contractions and just wanted to be in the tub. (My birth plan was all natural birth with the use of the jetted tub. But not a water birth.) Once we got checked in a nurse came out and said "Your midwife in on the way" and told me it was actually the midwife that had delivered Little E after all! I was so happy I think I cried a little knowing that I would have at least one person in the room that had been there the first time around too.

We got into the room and had to be monitered for 20 minutes before they would let me get in the tub. :( I hated that part. It was so hard to just lay there on that stupid bed and deal with the contractions without really being able to move very much to handle the pain. Ugh. Twenty minutes can feel like forever!! Finally they told me I could move to the room with the tub. By this point contractions were comming hard and fast. It was hard to walk down the hall. Once I got into the tub things felt better but definitely still hurt a lot! My sister rubbed my back and gave me ice and was such an amazing help! She was so strong and did such a good job helping me through the hard parts.

I was probably only in the tub for a half an hour when we decided it was time to move back to the other room and get ready to have that baby! I couldn't beleive it was already time. I just kept thinking, "I can't really be to transition yet! This took so much longer the first time around. I can't really be ready to push?!" But when we got into the room I could tell that it really was time. It only took a few more contractions and I had myself a beautiful baby boy at 9:49 pm. A little under 3 hours from the time my water broke. :) I was so blessed this time around. I didn't tear, and things went so fast and smoothly. I couldn't have asked for a better birth. It was so fast my parents didn't even make it back in time and my other sister who was on the shuttle coming up and asked me to "see if I could wait until she got there." came in a few minutes late as well. I don't think they were too disappointed though. It just meant they got to see the sweet new baby after he was cleaned up a little. lol

My hospital stay went well too. The sister that came up on the shuttle stayed in the hospital with me and kept me company while helping me to take care of Little M and all the stinking paper work etc. I was glad she got to spend so much time with him while she was up. It was really nice to get to really talk with her too. We see each other so little and mostly with the rest of the family around. I forget how nice it is to talk one on one with someone late into the night. She was a huge help to me and gave me a lot of comfort.

I have been asked if I felt Michael there while I had the baby. The answer to that question is no. I didn't have much of a brain working to feel anything except the fact that I wanted to stop feeling so much pain. But afterward, in the middle of the night while I was nursing Little M, I was half asleep. I am not sure but I almost felt like someone kissed me on the forehead... It could have been exhaustion, or the fact that I was on pain medication, but maybe it was him... I'd like to think so. I know that he was there, whether I felt him or not. It doesn't really matter. He was there and he made sure that things went smoothly for me. I am grateful to him. He did a really good job giving me the perfect birth. Thank you Michael. I love you! Your son is so handsome and looks so much like you already.

5 comments:

Ashley Sullenger said...

Oh I am so happy for you. Enjoy that little boy. I've often thought about how we are going through such similar things, but yet so different. For you, your life is your kids. For me, it's my husband. I would do anything to hold a baby that belongs to me while here on earth. I'm sure you would do anything to have your husband hold you. I too know Michael was there watching over you. You're incredible and so very strong. :) Congrats on the new addition. Maybe next weekend I can stop by and meet him.

Love,
Ashley

Shayna said...

Jenny, yay! I have been waiting to hear the story, I love birth stories. I am so so so happy that things were able to go so well for you. I had been praying each night that you would have a smooth and fast delivery and that everything would work out. You are so strong and I'm glad we are friends :) Nathan and I will come over when you are ready, just let him know. <3

MAK said...

Thank you for shareing your story! I love reading it!

Carly said...

beautiful photo! we love you guys! thanks for writing it all out! i love reading your blog!! :)

Home of the Muddy Kids said...

That was a great birth story. I love that laughter brought him into the world. It just makes for a fabulous beginning.