Friday, February 25, 2011

The Flu-ups

Dear Michael,

We had an interesting couple of weeks around here. Tuesday the 15th Little E was acting way more tired than normal. I assumed it was because of our busy day on Valentines day and didn't think much of it. She got pretty fussy and went down for an early nap, like 10:30 instead of 2:00. That made me worry a little bit. After she slept a few hours she woke up crying because she had wet the bed. I took her straight to the shower and got in with her to get her all cleaned off. While we were showering she lost her lunch. All. Over. Me. :( Yuck. Anyways. Sorry for the gross image but I was actually really grateful that we were already in the shower so the worst of it just rinsed quickly down the drain. Way easier than when she gets sick in bed.

The rest of the day was filled with watching movies and doing load after load of laundry. Thankfully she has already learned to aim for a bowl, but she still missed some and we had several loads of blankets to wash because of it. By the time Wednesday rolled around both the kids were running fevers and I took them both to the doctor. They had the flu. I was really really grateful that I had gotten the flu shot this year. I don't know what I would have done without it. My Mom helped me a ton by holding the baby while I took care of Little E, but eventually everyone in our entire family was sick at the same time. Except me. Seriously, God bless the man who invented vaccinations. Bless him, Bless him!

So since we went into the doctor within 24 hours of symptoms starting he gave us a prescription and said it would probably do a lot of good because we were so early in the illness. Little E and I went to the pharmacy to pick it up, and while she was snuggling on my lap she looked at me and said in a very serious voice, "Mommy, I have the flu-ups." lol What a cute kid! I told her she sure did and that we would take good care of her and make her feel all better. The medicine really did wonders. She recovered much faster than Little M who was too young to take it. However, I am extremely grateful for priesthood blessings. Our home teachers called that day and asked if we needed anything (can you say inspiration? Seriously, they always know when to call me). They came over straight away and gave Little E, Little M, and I all blessings. I have such a testimony of the power of these blessings. That night both of their fevers went away, and they slept so well. I know they still had to take time to recover, but I am sure that it went so much faster and smoother because of those blessings. The doctor had told me that I was "In for a rough week." But it was really pretty smooth sailing considering everything. I am so very grateful.

We still had to self quarantine ourselves for an entire week. I didn't get out past our driveway that whole time. I almost lost my mind! But our house sure did end up clean. I didn't have anything else to do while the kids slept (and they slept way more than normal.) So I cleaned out under our bed, your bedside table, the Tupperware cabinet (finally using the ones you let me buy in the summer. They work great and it is so much less cluttered! Thank you.), and the entertainment center that Ziggy Pop our snake is on. While it felt nice to get so much done in the house I was so excited when we finally could leave our little cave and venture somewhere else. Tuesday we went and got our car left rear blinker changed and bought light bulbs for all over the house. They all seemed to got out at the same time. Then Wednesday it felt so good to go swing dancing, and last night I went out with my friends Nathan and Ashley along with Amber and Scott. It was nice to have some adult conversation and just sit and laugh with each other. I am so glad that I have wonderful family and friends. They help the time fly by, and boy does it ever fly by. I can't beleive we are already to the end of February. Crazy.

Well, I just wanted to record that we all survived another crazy week of sickness at our house. I am sure you were doing all you could to help us make it through. Thank you for all you do for us. We love you and miss you always.

Love,
Jenny

1 comment:

Home of the Muddy Kids said...

If it had to happen, I cannot think of a better place to get puked on than the shower. Our big girl totally hosed down her whole bathroom a few weeks ago when she was sick...the same night the dishwasher flooded and ruined our floor. I was so, so sad that I missed it because I was working! lol.