Monday, May 30, 2011

Memorial Day Weekend

Dear Michael,
We went out to visit you yesterday and to clean your monument. I know it has only been in a little while, but I also know that if I clean it frequently it will stay looking nice a lot longer. I want it to look nice and it was really bugging me to see bird poop on something I had worked so hard to make! :) Anyways, we went out there and Little E and Little M stayed in the car for the most part because it was so cold. Little E did get out of the car and for a minute and told you that she loved you and got mad at me when I was standing on your grave, "Get off my dad!!" it was kind of funny. She also told some passersby that you had died but that it was ok. She likes to tell random people about it, I think its one of her ways of working through it and understanding it more.

I had never been to a cemetery on memorial day before this. I never had any relatives in one near enough to visit. It was really a sight to see. There were so many people there celebrating their loved ones with flowers, flags, and anything else you could think of. I just missed your sister visiting you and today I ran into my brother who had come out to visit you and Grandma P. His son bought you a sword, how cool is that? I really wish I could have spent a little more time with you this weekend, but it was raining the whole time and when it wasn't actually raining it was windy and nasty. I am really looking forward to spending some quality time out there when we finally get some summer like weather.

I hope you have had a great memorial day weekend. I have never truly understood the sacrifice that people have made on my behalf until know. I am so grateful for those families that are willing to go through the pain of losing a father, husband, brother, or son so that my children and I can enjoy our freedom. Please thank those wonderful men for thier selfless sacrifice for me.

Love,
Jenny

1 comment:

Home of the Muddy Kids said...

This was my first time going to an actual Memorial Day ceremony (Dad got to act in behalf of all the Air Force up there). I found it so moving. I cried through half of it. I am so glad that we have a day dedicated to remembering people who have left us.