Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Snuggles and a Mommy's Wish

Dear Little E and Little M,

Little M, you wake up most nights at about 11:30 and want to eat. I am usually fine with that because I haven't made it to bed yet and would rather feed you before I fall asleep than be woken up just after falling asleep. Tonight you were so sweet. Your little hands grasp my fingers so tightly, and your sweet fingers stroke me gently while you fall back into blissful slumber. It doesn't take long for you to fall back asleep and I could have left within a few minutes, but tonight when I went to put you back in your crib, I just couldn't. I had to hold you, there was no getting around it. I just sat there, rocking you, kissing your forehead, stroking your hair. I can't beleive how big you have gotten. I sometimes feel like I have lost 3 people in my life, your daddy, the baby that was your sister, and the newborn you. I can't beleive how quickly time is slipping away. How can you already be 4 months old? I love every minute of it, but tonight I just wanted to bottle you up, and keep you that sweet little warm bundle forever. It is hard to face the fact that someday you will be too big for me to hold in my lap. Once I felt like you really needed to sleep, instead of having me pester you all night with kisses and tight hugs, I snuck into your sisters room.
Little M in his cowboy outfit getting ready for church. I think he takes after his Papa, maybe he will learn some cool cattle roping skills! 3.5 months old.

Little E, you are such an amazingly sweet girl. I know you aren't a baby anymore, but I couldn't go to sleep tonight without waking you up to hold you. I came in and you were sleeping face down the wrong way in your bed, on top of all the covers. lol You are such a funny girl sometimes. I picked you up to hold you and turn you the right way in bed. You looked at me and whispered, "good morning" but I told you it was still night and I just wanted to hold you. So you snuggled into my shoulder and fell back asleep. It was wonderful to just sit and hold you too. I don't get the same snuggles I used to with you. You are so active now. Its hard to get you to slow down and really snuggle, much less fall asleep with me nearby enough to enjoy it.  But tonight was special. I even went back in after putting you to bed (which is usually a total no no because I don't want to have to put you down 3 or 4 times before you go to sleep). We snuggled in your bed and you played a game. You put your hand up in the air and said "Mommy, where did the baby butterfly go?" as you held your hand up to block your view of the butterfly sticker on your ceiling. Then you did the same thing for the "mommy butterfly" that hangs from your ceiling, and the "lamp". You also ate my nose and laughed and laughed when I did it back. I really can't beleive how smart and fun you are getting, but just now, you were just my sweet baby again. Granted a very very tall baby, but it felt right to just hold you in my arms for a few minutes.

Little E playing in Little M's carseat. She used to be small enough to fit in that! 



I love you both. I will miss these moments when they are gone, but I am so grateful to have them now. I look forward to all that the future has to offer our little family, but please please, take your time in growing up. My heart can only handle letting go of my babies slowly. Your pace seems a little too quick for me already.

Love,
Mommy

1 comment:

Jessica Taylor Blaine said...

You can always snuggle them. I held my nine year old today on my lap after a rough day. She loved it and so did I.